Sunday, April 19, 2009

No weekends for me....

So I am just about to finish another day here in Azerbaijan. I am so incredibly busy that the time seems to fly by. Today I road in an old school military jeep around the base with my Azeri public affairs counterparts to all the different places that the US and Azeri soldiers were training. They were training how to operate a checkpoint and how to properly and safely inspect a vehicle. They also did squad maneuvering and what to do if the squad leader spots and IED. They also practiced pulling security along a road. It's so interesting seeing Americans and Azeri's try to communicate to each other. Only 20% of the Azeri soldiers here speak English. The other soliders try to communicate to us by trying to use their hands in a sign language type of thing. Some soldiers have been trying to teach me the language as well. It's a mixture of Russian, Farsi, Turkish, and Arabic. They speak so fast that I can't keep up!!! So it sounds like I'm mumbling all the time and then they laugh at me.

I am enjoying my time here and trying to get the most out of this experience. I may have an opportunity to ride in a helicopter and take some pictures within the next few days but PFC Hansen wants to go on the ride so we'll see what happens. Tomorrow I'm recording a read for a radio news spot that will be used for AFN radio, which I am totally excited about. I finished writing the script so tomorrow I will be recording my voice and editing the soundbite to make my first official radio news package (I don't count the packages I did in AIT). Anyways, time to clean up and go. I'll be playing soccer with the Azeri soldiers. They said that they have never met a female who is really into sports...thanks Mom and Dad for making sure that I played soccer for all those years. The Azeris are still kicking my ass and some of the officers are 20 years older than me!

I love you guys and thanks for all your support. I will write again soon!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Soldier! Wow, after reading your blog entries it seems like you've been quite busy! Make sure you kick some butt in that soccer game!

    We invited Doug over for Gut-Bomb burgers yesterday, but he snub us! Said he'd be over, but then never made it...what a punk. :D

    Same ole thing around here...yard work yesterday - it's looking pretty good!!! Today we're going out to the Gorge to do some bike riding (supposed to be 77 today - hottest day since last September). I'll probably be sore tomorrow as we haven't gone riding for a while.

    On the sports side, the Blazers got killed by Houston in their first playoff game in 6 years - still 6 games left in the series. But hey how 'bout dem Padres? They scored 4 in the top of the 9th yesterday to win! The Pads are 9-3, not bad for a team picked to finish last!

    Keep up the good work. We miss and love you. Talk at you later -- Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ashley,

    Good to hear that you're doing well up in Azerbaijan and having a good time. I'm jealous that you actually get to do PA work. I'm spending my time behind a computer mostly. I've been out to shoot twice, one video and one still. It's pretty cool to be able to see the Iraqi people in their element as opposed to doing work here on Victory.

    I recently got to go to Qatar and see the capital city of Doha. That was a trip. I learned a lot about Qatar. It's really an interesting place.

    Keep yourself safe out there, Baumer and come back to your friends and family in one piece. I don't have to mention work, cause I know you're gonna kick ass at whatever task you set before yourself.

    Keep in touch.

    Freude

    ReplyDelete