Sunday, April 12, 2009

Getting Ready

So it's now 6:17 in the morning and I still haven't packed my things yet for the trip to Azerbaijan. I've always been a procrastinator so this isn't anything new. Still no sign of my military ID card, but there's still hope since I don't have to report to Camp Williams until 1300 (1 pm for those who are military time illiterate).

Preparing for this mission has pretty much been a rollercoaster ride. I've been excited, scared, worried, nervous, anxious...I don't know what to expect or exactly what I will be doing over there. All I know is that I will be equipped with a bulky video camera and a tripod and shoot any action that is taking place. I should be able to trade off with PFC Hansen and take still shots and help out with interviews. Other than that, I don't really know what I'll be doing.

I'll miss Doug. It's tough being on the military side of things. It's the worst feeling in the world when you leave someone behind like this. I know I'll see him at the end of the month, but still...I'll miss him so much. I just hope he eats more than just top ramen and Wendy's 99 cent double cheeseburgers. I set up something special for Doug while I'm gone. He'll figure it out when it happens.

Can you believe I'm still expected to write a 2,000 word essay for my psychology class?! I don't know for sure when I'll be able to use the internet while over in Azerbaijan, but I still need to type, upload, and email my essay. Super lame...I thought being in the military you get special treatment from professors and TA's. I guess that doesn't happen for those who are only going on a 2 week mission. On the bright side, my sport psychology TA is sending me all the notes from class. With her notes, I'm pretty much guaranteed to get an A on the final exam.

Anyways, I should start packing my things. Going active duty is super easy when it comes to figuring out what to wear so it won't be too tough. It's either ACU's (Army Combat Uniform) or PT's (Phyical Training uniforms). I'll do my best to post as much information as I can while I'm away. I love you guys. Thank you for all your support and believing in me. Doug, I love you and mees you...I'll see you soon.

8 comments:

  1. We're rootin' for ya, Ashley! You'll be great! Can't wait to read about your adventures over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ashley, this is fun. I feel like I'm traveling even though I'm at work. I'm thinking you will be pretty tired by the time you get to your first stop for sleep. Karon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby!!! It's only been a couple of days, but I mees you like crazy!!! I'm bummed your phone isn't working. I hope you're having fun and taking lots of good videos. Hope you'll be able to write soon. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kiddo, just got your email...love that Fanta!!! I passed the message on to a few. What a hassle getting in on this blog, I spent about half and hour with your Uncle Robert (you know, Mr. Technical...NOT). Guess he couldn't get things set up as I don't see an entry from him. Oh well, he did try!!! I'll see if I can get him setup. Talk to you later -- Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ashley,

    Holly and I were looking for a perfect place to go on vacation and Azerbaijan never came up. Can you believe it. We hope everything is going well, be careful and we Love you.

    Uncle Robert and Aunt holly

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS: Sorry Uncle Robert about that "Mr. Technical" comment... You got your blog entry posted without any help! A job well-done!

    ReplyDelete